Every time you discover and visit new places I am sure you experience new feelings. I believe travelling is about feelings, right? What makes you go on or what makes you come back to that place? The people? The climate? The surroundings? The attractions of the area? Every place has something unique to discover.
In my travels to Greece I visited more regions. I can definitely say that Hersonissos is one of my top choices. The little town on the Island of Crete has developed due to tourism and, in just a few decades, has grown into the largest tourist resort in Crete.
It has about 3,000 permanent inhabitants, but definitely this number increases exponentially each summer, with the thousands of seasonal workers in tourism, and of course the hundreds of thousands of tourists who come to Hersonissos on holiday.
I will give you the best reasons to come here at least for a holiday. The resort is visited by all type of tourists, so maybe you are looking for a place full of entertainment or a quiet area to go on holiday with your children. Or maybe not, you just want to lay down on a beautiful beach with a cocktail in your hands. Want to experience at least one of these? Hersonissos has everything. The best reasons to have a holiday here:
- It is a mass tourism resort, with lovely but busy beaches.
- The modern town has dozens of shops selling tourist goods, clothes and jewelry, restaurants offering all kinds of food, cafeterias, bars and nightclubs to suit every taste.
- For those of you who want something a little less crowded, the back streets are great for seeking out pubs playing live music, as well as quieter corners where you can chill out with friends and have a drink.
What you have to know is that locals like to party all night long, so the real night life in Hersonissos and the real sound of the resort is always in the center of the town. I chose the quiet areas, where you can serve traditional Greek drinks prepared by the locals, admire the beautiful view of the Cretan Sea during the night and enjoy an evening walk.
Another good point of this region is that holidays here are located on the center of the northern coast of Crete. Hersonissos it’s close to the all the main towns in the area. You can reach Malia in the east, or travel to the west and you’ll come across all the sights of the capital Heraklion. Also, Rethymnon, Gouves and Chania are very close if you choose to travel by car. In the center of the town you have plenty of car rental deals to choose from.
Things to do during the day
- Discover the history, culture, and large modern hotels, built with imagination and taste.
- Taste Greek delicacies and all the authentic, local tastes, as well as the international cuisine. You won’t resists to the refreshing drinks and you can order Greek coffee in the traditional cafes. You can have a walk in the port of Hersonissos, a modern tourist destination that satisfies every visitor with the numerous activities and choices.
For those of you who want to combine entertainment with relaxation, then in Hersonissos you can choose a resort that is not so close to the center of the town. You will enjoy the lush vegetation and the rare natural beauty of any resort you would stay in. There are 400 different species of plants in the Island of Crete and Greeks love to decorate the resorts with all type of flowers and trees.
I loved to discover each corner of the town by walk and what I enjoyed the most were the narrow beaches. Each one is different and has its own style given by the taverns located next to it. The colours, the light, the sea, the quality and the hospotality of the Greek people will make you come back.
I found Hersonissos as a cosmopolitan destination for a holiday. If I didn’t convince you to check in for a short or for a long stay, then I invite you to watch the travel movie of Hersonissos. For English translations, watch the movie on
Be a Fairytale Traveller in Hersonissos this summer! 🙂
Enjoy your travels!